Born in Valle de Bravo, State of Mexico, on March 5,1962, Ambassador García-López holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Economics from Columbia University in New York, US, as well as a French Baccalaureate in Philosophy and Literature from Vienna, Austria.
He joined the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1986, and has been a member of the Mexican Foreign Service since 1991.
His various posts in diplomacy and financial affairs include:
- Adviser to the Minister of Foreign Affairs on Economic Affairs (1986-1989).
- Economic Affairs and Foreign Policy Officer in the Embassy of Mexico in the United Kingdom (1989-1993).
- Director on Financial Affairs with North America, the Caribbean and the Pacific, Ministry of Finance (1993-1995).
- Director General for the OECD and Economic Analysis, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (1995-1998).
- Director General for Economic Cooperation, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (1998-2000).
- Director General for International Financial Affairs, Ministry of Finance (2000).
- Executive Director for Mexico and the Dominican Republic to the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) and the Inter-American Investment Corporation (IIC), in Washington, D.C. (2000-2007).
- Permanent Representative of Mexico to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, in Paris, France (2007-2013).
- Ambassador of Mexico to France (2013-2015).
In the academic sphere, he has been a university professor in economics (National University of Mexico), and taught a seminar on international economics (Ibero-American University, Mexico).
He has served as a professor in the master’s degree program on Mexico-United States Relations (National University of Mexico, Acatlán campus) and been a speaker at Mexico’s Matías Romero Diplomatic Institute.
His publications include the following: “Mexico and the OECD, fifteen years of transformations: the opening of the Organization and the evolution of bilateral relations” (in Spanish), in the Foreign Policy Notebooks of the Matías Romero Institute, number 17, 2009; together with Gerardo Bracho “The reform of Mexico’s cooperation in the international context” (in Spanish), in the Foreign Policy Notebooks of the Matías Romero Institute, number 17, 2009. He also has collaborated with Jorge A. Lozoya on “The new Mexican policy on cooperation” IMEXCI, 1999, and worked as an editor for the “Cross-currents” magazine of the Rockefeller Foundation, in New York.
Ambassador García-López speaks Spanish, English, French and German.
He is married to Katya Anaya de la Fuente, with whom he has two children, Agustín Mateo and Pablo Eduardo.
He presented his Letters of Credence to the Governor General of Canada on January 26, 2016.
International Economic Forum
of the Americas
2075 Robert-Bourassa Blvd.
H3A 2L1 Canada
Telephone: 514 871-2225
Toll-free phone: 1 866 865-2225
Fax: 514 871-2226